Wednesday, December 19, 2018

What’s Next For Me?

If I'm going to be honest, I've been stalling writing this post. I've been debating my future race plans post-marathon #3 since pretty much the middle of training and yet I still am not 100% sure I know what I want to do in 2019. With the way the Philadelphia Marathon lined up, my running goals/plans will begin in the new year. This gave me all of December to build my running base back up again after the marathon and some much needed rest. 

I finally received my finishers shirt! Wearing it is bringing back the excitement!

For those of you who have been around for awhile, then you know that the new year (2019) is going to be extremely busy for me. The most important event of all will be my wedding in August. If you're in the running/training mindset, then you may realize that August is a key training month when it comes to fall marathons and half marathons. With that being said, the fall does not hold any major races for me. I have been eager to do an ultra, and found a really great one that is not too far away, but unfortunately that will have to be put on hold until at least 2020 considering it takes place in October.

As you all know, races are expensive. In the past year or so I have definitely dwindled down my race list to just a few as a way to save money. This will be the same idea for the new year as I am saving my money for the wedding and my honeymoon. With that being said, I am limiting myself to one spring race and one (not so serious) fall race. The Philly Marathon expo gave me a few ideas for my spring race. My top choice would definitely be the Broad Street 10-miler in May, but with that being a lottery, I have a chance of not actually getting in. My second choice is the Love Run Half at the end of March. This decision will be made once I know if I got into the lottery or not.

Between my spring race and my wedding, my main focus will be on maintaining a consistent running schedule along with strength training to prepare for the big day! My dress shows off my back and arms so I definitely want to maintain the muscles I've got going on (thanks marathon training!).

After my wedding and honeymoon, I will began training for whichever fall race I choose. I have a couple in mind, mostly half marathons, but have not made a final decision just yet. I know for sure I want to run the Jonas Cattell 10-miler in October. For those of you who followed me through marathon training, then you know this is the race I ran 10 miles to the start of and then ran the race for my 20 mile training run. I've done this twice and now I'd like to actually run the race without a warm up of 10 miles. I think I'd enjoy the race a lot more if I'm not fatigued before I even got to the start line.

2019 will be a year of maintenance for me while also focusing on speed. By maintaining a consistent running schedule along with strength training and speed work, I hope to prepare myself for a more rigorous schedule in 2020. The last few years have been quite busy for me with training and races so I'm looking forward to a more unstructured year. Of course I will be following my own little schedule just to hold myself accountable!

Questions of the Day: What's next on your race schedule?
Do you still make a running schedule for yourself even when you aren't actually training for a race?

6 comments:

  1. I still don't know what my 2019 races with look like. There's a few spring marathons I have in mind but we will see.

    If you're looking for a good spring half I recommend the Rutgers Half Marathon! It's in April and run by the same organizers that do the Love Run Philly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for a possible spring marathon! I'm glad you liked your first marathon enough to do another!

      I think I'm going to look into the Rutgers Half! I just want to do something different... unless I get into Broad Street and then I'll be happy haha.

      Delete
    2. Me too! I wasn't sure what I would think about the marathon but I loved it.

      Definitely check it out! I did it last year and really enjoyed it. I may or may not be trying to make Alex sign up this year as some running motivation haha

      Delete
    3. I love when I can get John (or honestly anyone haha) to do a race with me! It's definitely motivation. I was happy to have you and my best friend both doing the marathon so we could talk about it!

      Delete
  2. Loved reading this, Em!! You are so inspiring that you are “limiting” yourself by only doing two races- that would be such a huge feat for others to just do one, lol! You go girl! I am doing the San Diego Marathon in January if my injuries don’t flare up, and that may be it for the year because I have my sister’s wedding & a huge move (more to come on that on the blog soon) in July. But maybe I’ll squeeze in a half in the fall sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely taking a lot of self control to not sign up for every race I see! This year is just too crazy for me to stress myself out too much. This past year was busy as well and I pushed myself a little bit too much so I think I deserve a break from rigorous training. I hope you do end up running the San Diego Marathon!! Can't wait to read about your huge move soon!

      Delete