Sunday, May 20, 2018

I Went One Month Without Coffee and This is What Happened

A month ago today, I got up and drank a cup of coffee before work that I honestly just did not want. Why, you may ask? Because if I didn't, I'd probably end up with a killer headache. The next day I decided to skip my morning cup of coffee. It was a Saturday and I didn't have any major plans for the day, so I figured if I got a headache it was no big deal. Those who really know me probably gasped at the thought of me SKIPPING my morning cup of coffee. For over 11 years I have been starting my day with a cup of coffee. It was just a part of my day... my routine... a habit. I have always loved coffee so it was just a part of my life. But like I said, a month ago I just really didn't want it so I figured now was the time to start my caffeine detox. It was in no way planned in advance, and I wasn't really expecting to last more than a few days without coffee. It's now one month later and I have lived to tell you what I have learned during this coffee-free month!

Hotel coffee, bottled coffee from a convenience store, gas station coffee- anything to save me from a headache!

No headaches! I'm pretty sure within this past month I kicked my caffeine addiction. The addiction was honestly the worst because I had to have coffee in the morning or else my day was shot. That meant if I was staying overnight somewhere, like for a wedding or vacation, I had to find a way to get coffee in the morning in an unknown location. It's so nice getting up in the morning, wherever I am, and just going about my life, headache-free!

I now run on vanilla soy milk, my new pre-run drink.

I lost one step of my morning routine but added a new one: breakfast. I'm not saying I didn't eat breakfast, I just didn't eat it first thing in the morning. When coffee was a part of my morning routine, I would wake up and make it right away so I could drink it while I got ready. That cup of coffee would hold me over until about an hour later when I was at work. Work was where I would eat my typical bowl of overnight oats (the easiest breakfast for on-the-go!). Now I have started eating breakfast before I leave in the morning and it's been life changing! I have more breakfast options because I'm not eating on the go and surprisingly it's been holding me over until my lunch. Overall, my mornings have been great!

No more midday iced coffee means no more midday coffee breath!

No more coffee breath! Even as a coffee drinker, I still despised the smell of coffee breath. I was constantly popping mints throughout the day to try and cover up my own coffee breath when brushing my teeth was impossible. This may be one of the best things that has come of not drinking coffee, if we're being honest...


My sleep schedule is more consistent. I'm not 100% sure if this has anything to do with not drinking coffee, but it's pretty coincidental if it isn't linked. I used to struggle with falling asleep at night. I'd be tired and get in bed early, but still toss and turn for awhile. For the last month, I have been falling asleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow. I sleep straight through the night, and wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (that's not really anything different) each morning.

I have always been loyal to Dunkin' and I still am because their iced tea and vanilla chai lattes are the BOMB!

No more morning Dunkin' runs = saving money. There hasn't been a more better time in my life to be saving money then now. With a wedding to pay for, a future house, and not currently working full-time, I need to be saving every penny I can! I was never one to always buy coffee out, but I was getting in the habit of stopping for Dunkin' every week or so, which adds up. Now I haven't spent any money on coffee in a month and the savings are real.

I'm sure I can list even more reasons, but I'll leave you with these five that I believe are the most important. I'm not sure how much longer I'll go without coffee, but I don't think I'll be wanting it anytime soon. The other day I had breakfast at a local diner and was given a cup of coffee. I thought I'd drink it because diner coffee is the best coffee but I only took a few sips before pushing it away. I guess we'll see what happens!

Question of the Day: Do you drink coffee every day? If not, what do you start your day with instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment