Thursday, June 21, 2018

My Summer Must-Haves

Since today is officially the first day of summer (even though it has felt like summer for awhile now),  I thought it was the perfect time to share some of my essentials for running in the heat. Marathon training for me begins in less than a month so a majority of my training is in the heat. Any gear to make summer running more bearable is a winner in my book, but here are just a few things I rely on throughout the summer.


Nathan Intensity Women's Hydration Backpack. I don't care if I'm running 1 mile or 20 miles, I will wear this backpack on ALL my summer runs. Hydration is totally my jam so something that can keep me hydrated throughout my whole run deserves an award, in my opinion. I've had this specific pack for almost a year now and so far, no complaints! I love everything about it and would recommend a hydration pack to anyone who feels as if they can't keep up with hydration while out running. I used to use a hydration belt, which I still use occasionally, and they're just as great if you can't shell out the money for a pack. I recommend doing your research and trying on different packs if possible. Everyone is different so you have to find the pack that fits your needs and body comfortably. I did tons of research before going with this one! Check it out here.


Mission Cooling Towel. John bought me this as a present last summer and it has been such a lifesaver ever since! Right before you leave for a run, soak it in water then “snap” it. The towel will instantly become cold! I have noticed that it doesn’t last too long, so it’s more ideal for shorter runs. One thing I started doing last summer for my long runs was soaking the towel and then sealing it into a ziplock. I put it in my pack and then when I really started to heat up, I’d take it out and activate it. I typically start a long run when it’s still cool so I don’t really need it that early anyway! You can check out the one I have here or explore the whole site to see the different options!

Source
Experia socks. Okay so this are perfect for any weather but they’re amazing in the summer because they don’t make your feet hot. Even when my feet get a bit sweaty, I hardly ever get blisters with these socks! To be perfectly honest, these are just my favorite socks in general :) Explore your options here! I always go with the low cut, thin cushion multi-sport socks.

Source
Body Glide. If you've experience chafing while running, get up and go buy this product NOW! Okay, not really, but it seriously is a lifesaver. Body Glide has a couple different products which are all great. I've used Body Glide many times, even sometimes for something non-running related (heels can really rub the back of your heel sometimes...). I find it super helpful in the summer because I love to run through sprinklers but then wet shorts can sometimes lead to serious discomfort on a long run. Almost every running store sells this or you can find it online!

Shout out to the Hot Chocolate Race Series that gave these moisture wicking, super cute and comfortable hats out at their race!
A hat and sunglasses. Sounds simple, but I have to give these two items the credit they deserve. I would never be able to make it through a hot, sunny run without a nice hat and sunglasses protecting me. The best part is that these are probably the cheapest running related items I own. I usually get sunglasses free at events and expos (who cares if they advertise a brand you've never even heard of?! They're FREE!), and my hats are either free from races are super cheap from Walmart. No one ever said you had to go broke trying to keep yourself cool :)

I would definitely wear something else reflective along with my shoes and bright shirt but it's a start!
Anything reflective. With summer comes heat... and with heat comes the need for early morning or late night runs. In this case, PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE keep yourself safe and wear anything reflective that you can! You can find almost anything reflective to wear from bracelets to vests to most running clothing. I know you may feel like a flashing road sign but that is GOOD! You want people to see you, especially someone who may be up early and a bit sleepy while they drive. Headlamps are even a great choice! Choose something that best fits your needs :)


Margarita Bloks. These are perfect for summer for two reasons. 1. Margaritas and summer go together like peanut butter and jelly. 2. These have 3x the sodium of typical Bloks which is super necessary for the summer. When you run in the heat, you obviously sweat. You should be replenishing the sodium lost and these are perfect for that! I personally love the taste because I'm a margarita type of gal, but if you aren't, CLIF brand does have other flavors that have extra sodium (some even have caffeine if you like that kinda stuff!). I'm a fan of most of their flavors so check them out here if you're interested!

Question of the Day: What is some of your summer running must-haves?

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you run in a hat! My head gets way to hot haha so it's not worth it to me.

    Gels/blocks are so necessary for summer runs. I personally prefer gels because chewing and running makes me choke. But I'm all about post run (well a few hours later lol) margaritas after Saturday long runs ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat takes some getting used to but I find it worth it on the super sunny days.

      I like both gels and blocks. I usually suck on the blocks to make it last longer and also so I don't choke haha. Margaritas are a GREAT post run treat :)

      Delete