Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Running in the Dark

Since moving and starting work, early morning runs have been a must for me! By time I get home from work around 4, I just do not feel like moving, let alone go for a run. As much as getting up a few hours before I normal would is a pain, I've actually been enjoying it! Something about cruising through my development when it's still dark and (mostly) everyone is asleep is so enjoyable to me. In order to enjoy these morning runs, I have to wear some important gear to keep myself safe and seen by other people out and about. I'm going to share with you some of these items that I always wear/use when I'm out for a run before the sun rises! Happy and safe running, everyone!



GoGuarded Ring
I asked for this for Christmas a year or so ago so that I could carry something with me on my run that would protect me but also wasn't too much to carry. GoGuarded is a ring with a plastic blade that has a silicone piece over the "blade" so you won't by accident hurt yourself. It can be put on any finger (it comes with little rubber pieces so you can size it to fit!) but I prefer to keep it on my middle finger because it feels more practical that way. This ring is a perfect way to defend yourself if anyone (and I suppose any animal) tries to harm you during your run because you already have it on and ready to go. Check out the website and purchase one for yourself here!

Headlamp
Headlamps are super important when out on run in the dark for a number of reasons! A headlamp allows you to see whats ahead of you or around you at all times. It can also allow anyone else out, whether they're running or driving) to see you approaching. I tend to wear mine around my waist so that it's always pointing ahead of me and it's closer to the ground. I have a few but this one from Nathan Sports is one I have been using recently because it also has a red light option!

Reflective Gear
I have a wide variety of bracelets and vests that I use to make myself visible while out running in the dark. A lot of my light up/reflective bracelets have actually been freebies at expos so keep an eye out for them! If not, you can always by a big pack of light sticks from the dollar store and use them as well!

Bright Clothes
One of my pet peeves is seeing a runner out when it's dark wearing darker colored clothes. I make it a goal of mine to wear the brightest, most colorful shorts and shirts I have when I run so that anyone can see me. It's not like anyone is out to judge me anyway, right?! Lighter/brighter colored clothes are more visible by cars so that they can see you before it's too late. If you don't own any bright colored running clothes (but I highly doubt that is the case for us runners!), wear as much reflective gear as you can, especially a reflective vest!

Question of the Day: How do you keep yourself safe when running in the dark?

3 comments:

  1. This seems obvious but I always have my phone when I run! Thank goodness for technology because it can act like an extra light if needed, play music without headphones in and you're able to call anyone if the need arises.

    Headlamps are great until the battery runs out mid run...gotta replace that asap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phones are so important while running in the dark, and on any type of run for the that matter! I definitely take advantage of using it for music/podcasts or calling people on my runs!

      Delete
    2. That's a great way to kill time on runs. I should do that on some long runs.

      Delete