Monday, April 13, 2020

Recipes We've Tried and Love

Happy Easter Monday! Can you believe we are entering week 5 of quarantine? This week is technically my school's spring break but the only real difference for me is that I don't have to do anything work related each day. I've made a plan to get some home projects done since those are the things I've really been pushing off lately.

John and I made a goal for 2020 to make 24 new recipes. We chose 24 assuming we'd try 2 a month but with this quarantine, we are way ahead of schedule. The recipes we choose are a mix of ones we find online and ones from the recipe cards our friends and family gave us at our wedding shower in June. Today I want to share a few of the recipes we've tried and really enjoyed! If it is a recipe from one of our recipe cards, I will add a photo of the recipe so you have it!


Don Pablo's Spoon Bread
If you never had the opportunity to dine at at Don Pablo's while the chain was still alive, I am so sorry! Don Pablo's was the place where John and I went to celebrate anything, when we didn't know where else to choose, when all we wanted was their delicious queso blanco, etc. The last chain location (the location closest to us) closed in July, we were devastated so we knew the first recipe we had to try was a copy-cat of their spoon bread. Spoon bread is pretty much mushy cornbread cake. Okay, I see how that could sound gross, but it is SO GOOD! The recipe we found is super easy to make, a typical mix-everything-up-and-pop-it-in-the-oven type. We made it for a dinner with my family and everybody agreed it tasted just like Don Pablo's! Also we apparently ate it way too quickly because I never got a picture...

Not the prettiest picture but I promise it was tasty!

Turkey Trot Meatballs
This was a recipe I had dog-eared in my Run Fast. Cook Fast. Eat Slow. cookbook for awhile now. This was another super easy recipe to make and I personally love the versatility of meatballs in general. We chose to top of edamame pasta with them but I want to make them again for meatball subs maybe! When making these, we chose to use oat flour and leaner ground turkey (99%). They turned out slightly dryer than I like so my only suggestion would be either less oat flour (if that is what you choose) or 93% ground turkey.


Lemon Shrimp & Rice
My aunt had given us this recipe at my bridal shower and it wasn't until I did another look-through of my recipe box when I realized how easy-peasy this recipe is. I've posted a photo of the recipe card above but I could honestly sum it up in 2 sentences. Melt a stick of butter on a baking pan in a 350 degree oven before adding lemon slices and shrimp to the pan. Sprinkle with Italian dressing seasoning in the packet and bake for 15 minutes. Bonus sentence: add the shrimp on top of a bed of rice with some veggies for a delicious dinner!

Question of the Day: Have you tried any new recipes lately?

3 comments:

  1. Meatballs are something I've never tried to make from scratch. My great grandma has a really good recipe that she passed down before she passed but I haven't tried it. One day I'll be brave and try it ha.

    I tried two new recipes yesterday and they were both winners which was awesome! One was a breakfast recipe and the other was dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first shot at making homemade meatballs so I was pretty impressed! My mom has a good recipe but I'll just let her keep making them for me for now :)

      That's great that bother recipes were winners! We've only had one recipe that went downhill so far and those were some healthy version of brownies they wouldn't cook through. Oh well haha.

      Delete
    2. Nothing wrong with having your mom make them for you!

      That's odd the brownies wouldn't cook through. I don't think I've ever heard of that lol. It's not that recipes don't turn out but sometimes they don't taste like I thought they would so then I don't want to make them again

      Delete