Thursday, May 17, 2018

Job Interviews and Running

Happy Thursday! This truly has been a long week and it is not even over yet... I just got back from by far one of the strangest job "interviews" I have ever been to. For those not up to date with my life, I am back in the job hunting process and it isn't very fun. I'm already tired of filling out tons of job applications and I'm not really looking forward to all the repetitive interviews, but I'll suck it up so I can find a good teaching job!

Today's interview wasn't like any interview I have ever been to. It started with me receiving an e-mail a little over a week ago telling me that I had to create a kindergarten guided reading lesson and would come in on the 17th to input it into their lesson template. This was phase one. Phase two would be actually teaching the lesson to a group of students. Without any other directions, I prepared for every scenario. I wrote a full lesson plan, including all possible questions I would ask the "students." I even printed out multiple copies of the book in case I needed them since some people said maybe I would be also teaching it to a group of administrators after writing it.

Well, long story short. I got there and waited along with 10 other girls. We all had no clue what we were going into. While we waited, at least 10 other girls exited the room we would eventually end up in. Before entering the room, they informed us that we would find the computer with our name on it and then have 30 minutes to type our lesson into the template provided. Luckily the template was what I was expecting so it did not take me long to input my plan. I finished with less than 10 minutes to spare, so I just sat and reread my lesson, looking for any careless mistakes. Once time was up, the lady in the room informed us that we would hear back tomorrow if we passed and would be coming back next week for an interview. When we walked out, there were a bunch of more people their waiting for their interview slot time. This means that at least 30 people made it to phase one... for only one open position. I guess all I can do now is keep my fingers crossed!

Now onto a more interesting topic.. running! I recently finished the book Run Less, Run Faster, which I talked about in a recent Friday Five. I decided to try implementing this method this week. I still have about two months until I'll begin marathon training, so I decided to just follow the 5k training plan provided until then. I was excited to start off with Key Run #1 which is speed work. I have always done speed work in the past, but never followed a real "plan." And now I knew how to program a training plan into my watch! For Tuesday, I planned to run 8x400 early in the morning before work. After a schedule change, I had to push it to the afternoon which meant it'd be HOT. My 8x400 quickly got changed to 4x400, knowing that I wouldn't be able to push myself for that long in the heat in humidity to come. Well, boy was it toasty! I honestly could only run 2x400 and I'm not even mad at myself because I was dragging before I even left my house. I'm eager to try this again next week! I'm hoping to be able to implement the marathon training plan into my training come July. I am definitely ready to run faster!

Question of the Day: Have you ever heard about the 3plus2 training plan in Run Less, Run Faster?

No comments:

Post a Comment