Wednesday, July 25, 2018

I Have a Job!!

102 job applications: filled out
46 school districts: applied to
15 interviews: attended. 
2 long-term substitute position: completed. 
1 job offer for the job of my dreams: ACCEPTED!

The past 14 months have honestly been the most stressful. I graduated from Millersville in May 2017, hoping to jump right into a great teaching position. Instead, I filled out application after application. Attended interviews that left me feeling discouraged. Received many “thanks, but no thanks” denial letters. I eventually accepted two long-term substitute positions for the 2017-2018 school year. Both were amazing and gave me the confidence I needed, along with a great understanding of what I was meant to teach. 


14 months ago when I believed finding a teaching job was going to be easy...

Finally after three (very intimidating yet interesting) interviews, I received the call that I had been waiting for for 14 months: the job offer call. I’m happy to announce that I have accepted a position as a 6th grade special education teacher


My nephew, Tommy, gave me this adorable key chain after I was officially board approved!

I was actually offered the job back in June (and that’s when I wrote the whole beginning of this post) but I was waiting for the board approval to officially announce! After accepting the job, I sat down with the notebook I’ve been keeping track of the job application process in. I was amazed at the numbers I added up. How did I stay so motivated after so many denials? What pushed me to fill out application after application, even after getting in the hundreds? I won’t lie, the whole process was very discouraging. Knowing that this was the career path for me, and that the right job would come around eventually, kept me going! I kept telling myself that my time would be here soon and when the job was offered to me, everything would fall into place. That is exactly what is happening! So if you're also looking for a job, or trying to stay motivated in your training plan, keep your head up! Good things come to those who wait! Stayed tuned for more updates on my new teaching career :)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats again! I almost wish I had kept track of how many jobs I applied to when I was graduating in 2017...I can't imagine how many applications it would be. Can't wait to hear more about your career/new position Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's crazy to see the number because in the moment it really didn't really like that many. I can't wait to share this journey with everyone along with my running life :)

      Delete