Monday, July 16, 2018

Motivation Monday: Marathon Training Edition

Today marks the first day of marathon training for me! I will be running the Philadelphia Marathon for the third time on November 18th. This past Saturday, the Philadelphia Marathon hosted a training kick-off run to pump everyone up for training and I just had to go! The run started at the Art Museum steps and the route went up MLK Drive. Everyone chose the distance they wanted to do, the farthest being 8 miles. There was an after party at the "finish line" where you could get free Dietz & Watson food (they sponsor the Philadelphia Half!), Dunkin' Donuts donuts and coffee, swag bags, Steaz drinks, and more! Oh, and the most exciting part of this whole event? Bart Yasso, the Mayor of Running, was there! He ran with us, hung out at the after party, and then shared some training tips with the crowd, along with a Q&A session. He shared some great advice, which I will be sharing with you today! So if you're about to begin marathon training, are in the middle of a training cycle, or just want to hear some running advice, read on to hear some great advice Bart gave. **Everything may not be exactly as he worded it, but I tried my best!**


I was SO excited to get a photo with Bart and get the opportunity to talk to him for a little bit!

Train with a group because that will make long runs much more bearable.

Run your long runs slow so you don't burn out too quickly during training.


We opted for a 5 mile run since we didn't start until 8 am and the heat was REAL by then!

Do speedwork closer to the marathon day (about a month to two months beforehand), focus on marathon speed earlier on.

Run hills now to build strength.


The Dunkin' people loved my headband + tank combo so much, they took this photo and it ended up on the Philadelphia Marathon Facebook page!

20 mile runs are sufficient for marathon training. Anything higher during training isn't necessary.

When running back to back race weekends, go easier on the first weekend and then give it your all on the second weekend. Also, focus on recovery in between! When running back to back race days (think about all those race weekend challenges!), sustain a pace you can run both days. Use the first day as an extra long shake out run.


I have never taken the opportunity to stop for a picture of Boathouse Row until today!

Yoga and strength training is great since it helps you get stronger and more flexible. Do not feel the need to do this every day. Focus on running since that is most important.

The right mindset goes a long way. Bart actually shared with us the two things he tells himself at the start of every race and I think I may begin doing this as well! The first thing is "I am so lucky to physically be able to do what I'm about to do." I am ALWAYS thankful that I have the ability to run. And the second thing was "We are culturally lucky to do this." Sometimes it is hard to realize that not every culture sees running and supports it the way we do.

I have wanted to meet/hear Bart speak for years and it was so worth the wait!

I can't even begin to explain how incredible this small part of my Saturday was. Running is a huge part of my life, and things like this just make my heart happy. It's not everyday that I can go on a relaxed, untimed run around Philly with the Mayor of Running and other awesome runners! One of the last questions was "what do you wish you knew before going into your first marathon?" Bart's answer? Pick a marathon that you'll remember and be happy about! Believe me, the Philadelphia Marathon is seriously the BEST first marathon  and definitely a memorable one. If you're interested in joining in on an awesome time AKA the Philadelphia Marathon, use my referral link here.

Question of the Day: What running tips would you give to a new runner?

2 comments:

  1. Love all this advice! My tip to a new runner would be to start slow. Rome wasn't built in a day so just get out and slowly chug along with a few miles or 20 minutes every few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that tip! I think so many new runners get discouraged when they can’t run a faster pace or longer distance right away but it won’t happen that quickly!

      Delete