Wednesday, August 8, 2018

My Least Favorite Run

Saturday I ran my least favorite run of marathon training. It's what I have named the "rock bottom run." In the beginning of each training cycle, usually within the first few weeks, I always have at least one run where I question everything from my love of running to my decision to run any long distance race. It's typically not so ideal weather, some body part of mine hurts, and I'd much rather be in bed. This past Saturday was exactly that. It was hot and incredibly humid, my ankle (which has been great lately) was sore (I blame the humidity!), and I felt as if I had gotten little to no sleep the night before. Luckily, my brother met up with me at mile 5 to run the last 5 miles with me. Having him there to talk to as a distraction from my discomfort was great! He also got me to push myself because I wanted to keep up with him like I usually do, so I pushed past the pain and yucky feeling to stay on pace with him. Also, it rained during the last few miles and that felt AMAZING!

How I feel about all this humidity...

On days like this I honestly do not want to even lace up my Brooks but somehow I muster up the strength and am so thankful afterwards that I did! You may ask how I push myself through these runs that I don't even want to do and that is exactly what I'm here to tell you today.

Back in the days of 3 miles being considered my 'long run,' I would've just skipped a run on a day like Saturday. Or stopped in the middle of the run, which I don't really get mad at myself about because at least I tried! Now, I remind myself of how far I have gotten in running and that hard runs are what make me better. It sounds simple and silly, but seriously just changing my mindset from "there is NO way I can do this" to "I did this before so I can do this again!" helps me so much. Simple reminders like seeing my race medals on my dresser or wearing an old race shirt on that run bring back the memories of how great I felt after I pushed myself.

Okay, so it's not just my positive mindset that gets me through a tough run. Looking forward to treats helps, too! My go-to fuel for any distance is gummy bears! I like to space them out throughout my run (at every mile marker usually) and then work towards getting that sweet treat that is actually fueling me through the miles. After awhile I sometimes even forget about them which makes me believe the run is not as tough anymore.

It doesn't matter what motivates you through your toughest days, it just matters that you find it in yourself to push yourself when you know you can do it. If you are actually injured or sick, definitely sit the tough days out, though! Think about the finish line, whether you look as far into the future as the race day finish line or even the finish line of your run that day. Just remember what you are working for. A quote I have always heard and loved is "keep your why close by." Remind yourself why you are doing this and why you want this. That is a helpful way to get yourself out of bed on these hot summer days, especially when you have a cool November race to think about!

I had another tough run this morning- 5 tempo miles in 92% humidity. I thought about how this is only making me stronger for later. It really kept me going! Also, I knew I had an ice-cold Nuun waiting for me at home :)

Enjoy the rest of your week!

2 comments:

  1. We must have been communicating subconsciously on Saturday lol. My run started off terribly and it only really got good when the rain came!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so thankful for the rain! I just was dragging along all morning!

      Delete