Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Coastal Delaware Marathon, Here I Come!

For those who haven't heard yet, I am running my 5th marathon in 2020! It's no secret that I love the marathon distance and the training that comes along with it. Something about pushing myself to do what seems to be impossible makes me feel immense joy. 


My best running friend, Rachel, and I have been discussing running another marathon together since I joined her for her first marathon last November! As much as we both love the Philadelphia Marathon, we decided to broaden our horizons and try a new race. After much research and discussion, we finally decided on the Coastal Delaware Marathon in April!

I'm not really sure what really sold us on the race but there are a ton of nice perks! For one, the cost wasn't terrible. It would've been cheaper if we registered back when we first kind of made a decision but we wanted to be sure before forking out the cash. The race highlights include a finish line party, big finisher medals, a scenic & flat course, free photos, and more! Overall it sounds pretty exciting!

When it comes to my training schedule, I am doing a mix of two schedules. I have followed both a Hal Higdon program and Run Less, Run Faster program in the past and enjoyed both. This go around I am combining the two, which basically means I am following the mileage from Hal Higdon but throwing in the speedwork from Run Less, Run Faster. Bottom line: I am winging a lot of it. 

Prepped to start running during the most RUNderful time of the year!

This will be my first time training for a marathon through the winter. I have trained for a half during the winter before but that training is a lot less involved than full marathon training. I am actually looking forward to winter training but am already anticipating many treadmill runs or even missed runs due to weather conditions. I think the second biggest concern of mine {besides weather conditions}, is the time of day I run. Before work is the most ideal for me but it is obviously darker and colder then. Running after work is possible, but I am usually a lot less motivated and tired at that point in the day. Overall, it will be a learning experience for me but I think I am going to end up enjoying it! I tend to enjoy running in the cold so that should make it good, right? Haha.

I will be documenting my training weekly so keep an eye out for my training updates every Monday! 

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I've heard good things about Coastal Delaware but I think it was hot last year so people complained haha. In terms of running before work in the winter for marathon training, I found it was typically less windy than later in the day. Maybe that's just where I lived last year but it was interesting. Plus running in the morning your body doesn't know how cold it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hot race day after winter training really would be annoying haha but I guess it's highly possible for an April race! I think I am going to try my best to do all morning runs or do my evening runs at the gym. My body is easily tricked into running early in the morning ;) lol

      Delete
  2. I'm just getting back into running! :) My kiddos are 5 years old and 2 years old, and I'm excited to do something for myself now. That being said, the furthest I've ever run is 5 miles. Ha, ha. I'm thinking of maybe signing up for a 10k this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5th?! Holy moly- that’s awesome, Em! This sounds like an ideal marathon all the way through. I love most Runderful time of the year- may have to steal that ;) I love your optimism about training in the cold- that will get you far (quite literally!). I’m such a baby about the low temps now haha. Have a very Merry Christmas <3

    ReplyDelete