Wednesday, September 19, 2018

We're Homeowners!

If you've been on my blog lately then you've figured out that I haven't been as active, aside from my weekly routine posts. I've been a bit busy the last few weeks with my new job and something else super exciting. For those who don't know yet, John and I bought a house!! 
Isn't this sign the cutest?! It was a gift from my brother-in-law AKA our realtor!

We had started looking for our first house together back in July when I finally received my full time job. After looking at many many houses (I actually should count how many we went to), we finally found the one we could see ourselves living in. The process moved along super quickly, and once the seller accepted our offer, we were set to close in 30 days! Needless to say, those 30 days were filled with endless paperwork, phone calls to everyone under the sun, and packing, LOTS of packing. Thankfully, John handled the paperwork and mortgage end of the deal while I packed and made any necessary arrangements for the big move-in day.

The week and a half leading up to settlement was probably the craziest time of all for the two of us. Working around two very busy schedules (did I tell you I JUST started my new job?!), we managed get a lot done even when nothing, and I mean NOTHING, went as planned. I'll only tell you a little bit about that because who wants to hear (read?) me complain all day...
I am so ready for this adventure!

After my first day of school, we took an hour drive to pick out furniture at a shore house owned by a friend of John's dad. The guy was very generous and let us have first dibs on the furniture he was going to be selling before knocking down and rebuilding said shore house. I'm not gonna lie, I was completely in shock at the amount of furniture we got for such an awesome deal. I will forever be thankful for this guy! Up until that day, we only had a bedroom set for the master bedroom and one for the guest room. 

As much as I was absolutely thrilled with the furniture, it just turned into a big to-do then we anticipated. John had to spend a full Saturday driving back down to get the furniture with his dad and uncle. Sounds easy, right? Well the U-Haul reservation was made for the wrong day, resulting in them ending up with a super huge and super expensive U-Haul. Then the loading process took so long that the storage unit we were taking it to closed before they could take it to unload it. That meant we had to take more time from our weekend to go unload it the next day. Needless to say, a lot got done but didn't get done at the same time. I was stressed but we had furniture for our house so all was good!
I'm already starting to decorate!

Flash forward to settlement this past Thursday! We were lucky enough to get an appointment late enough so I didn't have to take off of work during my first full week. I was amazed at how quickly we were in and out! We spent our first night eating Mexican food and just enjoying the fact that the house was OURS! Friday was spent with our families, cleaning the house and preparing to move in furniture on Saturday. My mom made us all dinner and everyone really pitched in to help clean and fix up a couple things. 

Saturday's move in went smoother than I could have imagined! After the last week and a half we had, I wasn't expecting anything to go as planned but I was wrong. We had all the furniture and boxes from his parent''s house loaded and unloaded in about 2 hours. Loading and unloading the furniture from the storage unit took about 2 hours as well. Everyone who came to help did an awesome job of putting everything where I asked. All day I just kept thinking how lucky John and I were to have such an amazing support team to pitch in and help us out!
My dad is the absolute cutest!

By the early evening we were all relaxing, enjoying another great meal prepared by my mom! Overall it was a great day! John and I have really been enjoying unpacking and setting up the house. I'm pretty sure my most put together rooms so far are the kitchen and bathrooms. Next on my list is our master bedroom which requires a bit of rearranging furniture. I'll have more pictures once everything is set up!

2 comments: