Friday, September 28, 2018

Friday Five: 5 Ways I Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle

TGIF has never been more true until today for me! This week was crazy busy and I am just longing for a weekend of relaxation. Luckily my only plans as of now are to go to some Women's Health Summit event with my mom tomorrow morning and then a long run Sunday morning. I'm hoping my Saturday and Sunday evening stay open so John and I can finally get the rest of our boxes unpacked.

I was going to write some long, sappy post about how it's been 5 years since I hit my goal weight and it still feels so great and blah, blah, blah... but then I had another idea! Over 5 years ago I adapted to a new lifestyle thanks to Weight Watchers (WW) in order to lose the weight I needed to and get in better shape. This allowed me to reach my goal weight in September of 2013 and so far, I have maintained this weight! Adapting to a lifestyle, rather than just "dieting," is how I've been able to maintain the goal weight I worked so hard for. Today I am going to share with you 5 pieces of advice that I've learned along the way of how to maintain a healthy lifestyle! *I am in no way a professional so these are merely just tips I have learned and that have worked for me!*

Pay attention to portion size.
This is probably the most important. It wasn't until I joined WW that I started looking at portion sizes on boxes. I. was. shocked. Who knew that a 1 serving of cereal was 3/4 cup instead of about the 2 or more cups I fit into my huge bowl?! I started using measuring cups/spoons and a food scale to portion out my food and realized I had been eating way to much of some foods in just a single meal. At first I though "I'll never feel full after this measly meal!" but then that wasn't the case. I felt full, not grossly stuffed. To make this easier with snacking, I always pre-portion any snacks I get that aren't already pre-packaged, such as a big bag of pretzels or my cut up fruits/veggies.

Don't deprive yourself.
You may think that cutting your favorite sweet treat out of your diet is a great idea, but you're only torturing yourself and could possibly binge on something else later. Instead, allow yourself to enjoy your favorite treats now and again, just not all the time. If you're a planner like me, you could pick which days out of the week you want to let yourself indulge a bit. I tend to schedule my sweets around my running schedule. By doing this, I don't typically crave junk food because I know that I could have it if I really wanted it.

Work some cardio into your schedule.
You don't have to be a super runner, but adding movement into your day can show big results. When I first joined WW, I was not a runner in any way. I started by going on morning walks with my parents as a way of exercise. Once I felt more comfortable, I started running. The walking alone helped me out tremendously and prepared me for more rigorous exercise. It got me moving and helped me burn some calories!

Find accountability buddies.
I was lucky enough to join WW with family so we have been keeping each other accountable since then. This has been such a huge advantage for us. Family meals or parties tend to be healthier because we all have the same mindset. We're able to exchange recipes and tips. It's also nice to have someone to force me out of my house early on a Saturday morning to go face the scale AKA weigh in.

DRINK YOUR WATER.
It honestly blows my mind that people don't drink a lot of water during the day. I've spent hours with people and didn't see them take a sip of water even once. Meanwhile, I'm finishing up my third refill of my blender bottle. I always, and I mean ALWAYS, have a water bottle with me. If you know me well enough, then you know I either have my trusty blue blender bottle or one of my Tervis mugs with me at all times. Water helps with everything. Hungry? Drink some water. Feel a headache coming on? Drink some water. Tired? Go splash your face with water. Seriously. Water = life. I highly suggest you go get a nice reusable bottle (I love my blender bottle because it never leaks so I am able to throw it in any bag I have with me) and make a promise to yourself to take it everywhere with you to guarantee you are drinking enough. You'll notice a difference, I promise. 


Question of the Day: What is one way you maintain a healthy lifestyle?

1 comment:

  1. That first sentence is so true for me today lol. Thank goodness the weekend is here!!

    One way I maintain a healthy lifestyle is by listening to what my body wants and having a water bottle with me at all times.

    ReplyDelete