Wednesday, February 27, 2019

2019 Goals: February Update

February sure did fly by! I'm not sure if it's due to the fact that February is only 28 days long or if it's because I was busy for about 26 of those days... Looking back, it was a wonderful month full of spending time with friends and also working towards some of my goals! I even crossed a few things off my 2019 to do list. Today I'm sharing with you the progress I've made on my six 2019 goals.

Goal 1: Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
I was surprised at how many quality runs I got in this month with the crazy weather we've had! In the beginning of the month I ran my first double digit run since November. I added some faster pace runs in. I also managed to start adding some strength and HIIT workouts into my schedule. My upper body strength has really declined in the past couple months so I am working on building that back up.

Goal 2: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
I am so proud of myself that I remembered my reusable bags almost every time time I went to the store this month! One of my favorite bloggers, Carlee McDot, shared in one of her recent Friday Favorite posts about a program called Re-Spun by Marine Layer. The basis of the program is you donate your old, unwanted t-shirts and then Marine Layer "re-spins" them into new shirts. You also get a $5 credit per shirt donated {up to $25 but they don't cap how many shirts you can donate}. I requested a donate kit so I can mail in some of the t-shirts I am ready to donate. I'll keep you updated on my process as I just received the kit in the mail. To go along with the re-use theme, I started to find ways to re-use items such as turning an empty Lysol container into a trash bag dispenser.

Goal 3: Reduce Phone Usage
This is definitely something I am becoming more aware of. I have gotten better at not going on my phone first thing in the morning. Instead, I quickly check my messages for any urgent texts and then throw it in my bag. Once I get to work, I take a few minutes to check any notifications before putting it back in my bag. At home I have been trying to pick up a book or magazine {bridal magazines have been my go-to at this point in time} more than my phone.

Goal 4: Try New Recipes
I definitely failed on this goal this month. I did start making my lunches a bit more creative, but none of the recipes were anything new. More so just a hodge podge of food I had in. The only "new" recipe I would say I tried is pumpkin spice overnight oats which uses oats, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, real pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice.

Goal 5: Give Back
One of my best friends works for a non-profit that recently opened up a food & toiletry pantry. I raided my cabinets and put together a bag of items to donate!.

Goal 6: Save Money
In a way, I did do really good with saving money this month. I didn't purchase any "extras" and only ate at places we had gift cards/free coupons for {besides during our weekend trip to Washington, D.C.}. We had a couple house emergencies in the beginning of the month that required us to put out a good bit of money. I think these issues really put us in the "money saving" mindset, though, which is good in a way. A majority of my grocery shopping trips were couponing trips with my mom. I only spent .61 cents on an order that was originally over $50!!

Question of the Day: How are you doing with any of your 2019 goals or resolutions?

6 comments:

  1. Spending only $0.61 on a grocery bill that should've been $50 is crazy! Too bad produce doesn't have coupons haha.

    So far I've been 2/2 with trying at least one new recipe every month which I'm happy about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's annoying that some items don't ever have coupons. My grocery store does deals sometimes where if you spend a certain amount of money on specific products or products from a specific department, you get $5 off a future purchase so those work for produce! I recently learned about a company that sells "ugly" fruits and vegetables for a discounted price. That's probably the best deal on produce these days.

      That's great that you're keeping up with trying a new recipe each month! I am going to focus on new recipes next month!

      Delete
    2. I got a coupon for $X off of a $Y frozen food purchase and I'm weirdly excited to use it on some frozen veggies to keep in the freezer. Depending on the produce, I'll buy them at Costco which tends to be cheaper for us but I do need to check out the "ugly" produce section.

      You'll have to let me know if there's any good recipes you find!

      Delete
    3. Coupons are the best! I tend to look through the ads for the three grocery stores in my area and base my shopping trip off where has a good deal on fruits and veggies. I can't wait until the spring/summer when farm stands start to pop up!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you do a phenomenal job, Em!! This is really inspiring, and fun to see how this month went after seeing when you set the goals. I think I was much better with phone usage this month too- I recently turned off the notifications on apps, and that has helped a ton! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love keeping track of my progress during the month so I can realize where I need to put more effort in. Turning off notifications can help tremendously! I've done that with some as well!

      Delete