Monday, February 18, 2019

My Weekend in Washington D.C.

Instead of my routine week in pictures post, I figured I'd share my weekend in pictures seeing as it was much more exciting than the rest of my week. John and I went down to Washington, D.C to meet up with three of his friends from college {Carissa, Kristina, & Meetal} and one of their husbands {Marko}. It was only my second time in D.C. with my first time being for a band trip in high school so it was a bit more structured. Continue on to see what adventures we went on {and food I ate, of course}!


We arrived in D.C. later on Friday night, so after some crepes and a bit of rest {I had a migraine that I was trying to get rid of}, we ventured out to explore. We were staying at an apartment in Foggy Bottom, which is just a few blocks from all of the sights. It was enjoyable to see all the monuments at night {it was after midnight} because it wasn't crowded and all the lighting was nice.




We didn't get back to the apartment until sometime after 1 am. I crashed hard because it had already been a long day of work, driving, and then walking around. Luckily I woke up feeling refreshed so I convinced Kristina to go on a run with me around the monuments after we had our tea & coffee!


Kristina knows her way around the D.C. area so I followed her lead and took a running tour of the area. This would be one of many on-foot tours we took!


Everyone was mostly ready by time we got back from our run, so we quickly got ready before heading to brunch at Le Pain Quotidien.


Everything on the menu looked delicious but I chose the Belgian waffle with berries and chocolate sauce! I am still dreaming about the sweetness of the waffle!


From there we headed to Sprinkles Cupcakes, one of the famous cupcake places I had been dying to try out!


I ordered the one on the left!


I finally decided on the "Isn't It Romantic" which was a passion fruit cake with a lemon frosting. Yummm! John chose red velvet and a cookie, both of which he said were great!



Once we were well rested with tummies full of sweets, we headed back towards the monuments to see everything in the daylight.





John and Marko insisted on renting the electric scooters you could find throughout the area. They had a blast! Carissa, Kristina, Meetal, and I decided to just walk. Though I did take a quick spin on John's scooter. Man, I could see why he wanted to ride one!


Kristina had bought us tickets to the Newseum and it was totally worth it! The only photo I took was of the piece of the Berlin wall which was due to me being mesmerized by everything we saw. We got there a bit late so we only got through a few exhibits. My favorites were the FBI exhibit and the Pulitzer Prize exhibit.



I saw the White House for the first time! I know that sounds crazy considering I grew up less than 3 hours from there...


The lobby of our apartment building was super cute!


We chose Mexican food for dinner and what a good choice it was! I ordered what was referred to in the menu as a "mega burrito." It was stuffed with beef tips, cheese, rice, and beans and then was topped with cheese and a sauce.





We decided to go back out and walk around more. Once again, the lighting made places look cool, such as the White House.


Even though it was cold, we somehow managed to get ice cream! I got cookie dough which was homemade with chunks of homemade cookie dough in it and a few cookies! Soo tasty! Can you tell I have a MAJOR sweet tooth?!



 We started our Sunday morning later than planned so we went right to lunch. Thanks to a suggestion from a fellow blogger, we ended up at Good Stuff Eatery. I ordered a burger with a fried egg on it, which was delicious! I loved the selection of unique sauces they had. I dipped a couple of John's fries in the horseradish sauce. Thanks, Maureen, for the awesome suggestion!



 We sucked it up and waited in the line at Georgetown Cupcakes. It was so worth it! Gosh, I felt like I just ate sugar this whole trip!


I ordered one of the strawberry ones on the right!


On the way out we stopped in Paper Source, which I had never been in before. I loved all of the cute stationary and cards. I had to stop myself from buying everything!





After a bit more walking, we all went our separate ways to head home. John and I switched off driving because we were both exhausted from a very long weekend filled with lots of walking, food, and fun!

Question of the Day: What is something fun you did this weekend?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked Good Stuff Eatery and Georgetown Cupcakes! Isn't the Newsuem just insane? So much information and it's all so interestingly presented!

    The waffle you got at brunch sounds delicious and now I kind of want chips and salsa even thought it's 7:33 in the morning...

    Two fun things we did this weekend (I can't choose just one lol) was taking Bailey to a park that's about 25 minutes away to run away. It was kind of muddy but she LOVED exploring off leash. The other thing was celebrating Valentine's Day with Alex on Saturday. We went to one of the oldest restaurants in NJ and it was SO good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have spent all day at the Newseum! The park must've been so fun with Bailey! Ibet she loves getting some time off the leash to explore and play. Your Valentine's Day celebration sounds so nice! Is the oldest restaurant close to you or did you have to travel for it?

      Delete
    2. She loves any time she can explore a new to her place. It was up in Mendham which is about an hour away from us but so worth it.

      Delete
    3. Sometimes it's totally worth it to drive for a good dinner! Also eventually you get tired of the local places so you need to branch out.

      Delete