Wednesday, June 12, 2019

School’s {Almost} Out for Summer!

It's hard to believe that my first full year as a teacher is coming to an end! Teaching 6th grade was a rewarding experience that I am thankful for! It made my first "big girl job" feel like hardly a job at all sometimes. I received news a few weeks back that I'm actually going to be moved down to first grade next year! Now that I've had time to process such big news, I'm actually really excited and ready to take on a new adventure. I'm sure teaching first will call for some interesting blog posts!

With this school year coming to a close, I thought it would be fun to share some funny/heart-warming things my students have said this year. Anytime I heard or was told something memorable, I would quickly jot it down in the back of my planner. Here is just a small dose of things that made me laugh and things that made me smile.

*While showing my students my marathon medal*
Student: Did you win?!
Teacher: No.
S: Then why do you have a medal?
T: Everyone who finishes the race gets one.
S: Oh... well at least you tried!



*When squished between me and another teacher during the class photo*
S: I'm so squished! I feel like the ice cream inside of a Klondike bar!

*When asked to make a PSA for an anti-bullying PSA, a group of students used the acronym B.A.L.L.S...*
S: BA Leader, a Loaner [of feelings], and a Striver.



S: My feet hurt from sitting all day!

S: Is "B" an odd number?



S: This crayon is broken! Can I staple it back together?

*Regarding my coworker coming back from her maternity leave*
S: Did her voice change?
T: She had a baby, not go through puberty!

A student put 2 spaces between EVERY word in her essay because it had to be "double spaced."



7 comments:

  1. Not even going to lie, I definitely did the 2 space thing when I first heard of double space. I felt SO dumb haha.

    The marathon winning one still kills me. Stapling a crayon is a good idea to problem solve but sadly not practical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In her defense, we never really explained what double spacing was so I felt bad for her. I just let her turn in the essay with all the spaces so she didn't have to go back and fix it all.

      The marathon one has stuck with me since and always makes me laugh! The student who wanted to staple the crayon always melts my heart because she really thinks that this kind of stuff works lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh WOW! I am surprised the parents didn't notice that "she" had double spaced every word in her paper. When I was in 6th grade my parents always checked my homework to make sure I had everything done before the next school day.
    Were you looking to move to another grade or was this a completely unexpected move? Are you going to a different school building too or is your school K-8? I would definitely love to know more about the planning involved in switching grades because 1st and 6th grades are VERY different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an in school individual assignment so her parents would've never seen it. I would hope they would've caught that if they had seen it!

      It was a completely unexpected move! They had to move a few positions around and it ended up causing a domino effect, changing many teacher's positions. I will be moving to the elementary school which will be a big change! 1st and 6th are very different but luckily I am the special ed inclusion teacher so I am not recreating a whole new classroom and lesson plans. It will definitely be a change, though!! Are you a teacher yourself?

      Delete
    2. Hi Em,

      No ... I am NOT a teacher BUT I remember as a kiddo wanting to be a teacher and being enamored at all of the planning involved in teaching. When I got to college I realized that while I love planning and preparing, I am not quite cut out for teaching. I work in risk & compliance and I am a business continuity planner for a large bank. I enjoy what I do and it plays off of my strength but it doesn't keep me from dreaming about teaching every once in a while!

      Are you super excited for the summer? What day are you getting married in July??

      Delete
  3. Yay for being out for the summer! Wooohooo! Also 1st grade will be a new fun adventure I’m sure. You seem like the type that would be amazing with any age  Also that totally made me LOL about the medal convo exchange with your student, bahaha.

    Wait… JK… these allllll are making me lol. These. Are. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids seriously crack me up! Lol I am so pumped for 1st grade! They're cute kids without needing to learn the basics of how to act in a classroom because they already went through kindergarten.

      Delete