Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Running

Around this time 6 years ago, I embarked on a wonderful journey into the running world and never looked back. I have learned a lot since that first 1.5 mile run and have decided to share some of those lessons with everyone. Whether you are a new runner or have been running for years, I hope you can take something from this post!



It gets easier. The first time I went out for a run with friends we ran 1.5 miles and I swore I was going to die. 6 years later I laugh at past-me because 1.5 miles is nothing to me now. If you keep running, you'll build endurance and it will start to feel easier.

An old Instagram photo with a cheesy filter ft. my first pair of good running shoes. 

Buy good running shoes. I started running in a pair of cheap Nike's from Kohl's. They didn't support my feet properly and weren't too comfortable. My life was changed when I finally went to my local running store and was fitted properly. I learned that I should wear neutral shoes, more specifically Brooks Ghosts.


I went to my first race expo in 2014 for the Broad Street Run and I spent more money on new gear than I'd like to admit...

It's not as cheap as people say it is. "All you need is some running shoes" was what everyone told me. 6 years later my closet is bursting at the seams with running clothes for every season, a FlipBelt, hydration backpack, motivation wraps, SweatyBands, socks for every type of run, hats, oh, and 6 pairs of running shoes.... Don't even get me started with race entries!

You can make running as cheap as you want. I know I just said running is not as cheap as people say it is BUT you can make it as cheap as you personally want. Realistically, you only need a good pair of running shoes {I can't stress this enough!} and sweat wicking clothes and you're good to go. All the other stuff is optional and there are ways to improvise {like do you really need a $35 handheld water bottle or could you just carry a cheapy one?} or find things cheaper {thrift stores and Walmart are my BFF!}.



It may start to consume your life. When I first started running, I never imagined how much it would take over my life in a good way! Now running is almost always on my mind. When am I running this week? Should I buy that new tank at Running Co.? How do I possibly choose which race to run next?! Real talk: I am not mad at all that running is now my life because I truly do love it and it is a healthy hobby.

Question of the Day: What is something you have learned since you began running or doing any other hobby you enjoy?


6 comments:

  1. Anyone who says running is cheap is just someone who casually runs instead of training for long races. It makes me laugh when I have people tell me that. If only they knew.

    Good running shoes are such a must have if you want to run. In a Facebook group, I see people all the time say how they want to get into running but don't know where to start. I always say go to a local running store to get fitted for shoes. It's the best way to get started with running in my opinion.

    One thing I wish I knew when I started running in high school is that you might hate it during those 4 years but you'll love it after college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! All the gear needed for long distance running adds up.

      My first piece of advice when people ask me about getting into running is to go to their local running store and get fitted for shoes. I was mind blown when I was finally fitted for running shoes that were right for me! The difference they make.

      I've heard from a lot of people who ran in high school that they didn't enjoy it then but they do now. My best friend ran cross country in high school and she doesn't want to run now that she's done that. I've been trying to convince her lol.

      Delete
    2. It's weird because high school running is so different. You have to do what the coach tells you to do. Running after high school gives you so much more freedom since you can run paces that feel good to you and can have extra rest days if necessary.

      Delete
    3. I definitely like being in control of my running!

      Delete

  2. This is such an great post, Em!!! These are all soo true. Hmm something I learned since running is the community of people are awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right! Some of the nicest people I've met are those in the running community! I love it so much! :)

      Delete