Wednesday, November 7, 2018

ABC’s of Running

Happy Wednesday!! I can’t believe we are less than 2 weeks out from the Philadelphia Marathon! I’m feeling great and looking forward to my last few runs on my schedule. I’ve had these past few days off so along with getting a lot of stuff done, I’ve gotten a lot of relaxing in! Read on for some entertainment on this lovely Wednesday!

On a recent long run I decided to play a little game with myself to help pass the time. Even if I am listening to music or a podcast, I still tend to zone out and think or play mental games with myself. Sometimes I count things, like other runners, dogs, specific lawn decorations, etc., but this time I decided to come up with a word or phrase related to running for each letter of the alphabet. The word is either something that is used for running, a running tip, or any other random thought that popped into my head that somehow relates to running. I had so much fun doing this that I figured I should share it with everyone!

Ankles. Your ankles tend to be the weakest part of your legs so keep them strong to avoid injury!


Breathing. Focus on your breathing so that you don't wear out too quickly.

Cross Train. Keep working other muscles!

Dreadmill AKA Treadmill. A magical piece of equipment that makes one real-time minute equal 10 treadmill-minutes. 

Epsom Salt Baths. A must for after long runs.

Fuel. Eat what is right for you and keeps you going before, during, and after a run.


Gu. Some people love it and some people hate it. I love what it does for me during a run but sometimes don't enjoy consuming it, especially at mile 18 when I can't even imagine eating anything solid let alone gooey.

Hydration Pack or Belt. The best way to keep yourself hydrated on a longer run. Also a great thing to have during a race so you don't have to waste time at water stops.

Ice Bath. I've personally never tried one but they seem to be a great way to recover.

Jogger. No, we are runners! 

KT Tape. My lifesaver for my ankle during a long run.

Long Runs. Personally my favorite part of training.



Marathon. 26.2 miles of feeling every emotion imaginable. 

Never Try Anything New on Race Day. A golden rule of running. Also a rule I have broken but luckily benefited from.

Oofos. Recovery sandals that have been on my wish list for awhile now! Maybe I'll break down and buy them before Philly next weekend!

Port O' Potties. A place at races where I see longer lines than those at Walmart on Black Friday.

Quitting. Something you're not allowed to do in running. Unless you're injured, of course!

Reflective Gear. A must-have if you're going to run in the dark.



Strength Training. Because running doesn't work out all the muscles.

Trust Your Training. Don't doubt yourself the day of a race. You trained for this. You've got this!

Ultra Marathon. Any distance longer than a marathon. Something on my bucket list!

Virtual Race. A race that you do on your own time but can still get a medal, bib, and sometimes a shirt for doing it. 

Water. I can't emphasize it enough... DRINK YOUR WATER.

X-Rays. Hopefully you never need to get one!



Yasso, Bart. The (retired) Mayor of Running and overall coolest runner in my book.

Zzzz. Running makes you sleep A LOT. Whether it's the night before a run or right after a run, sleep happens.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Marathon training is exhausting, I honestly never thought I would be so tired from running haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always gone to bed early but I've gone to bed even earlier these last couple weeks. Ain't no tired like marathon training tired! Haha

      Delete