Wednesday, November 28, 2018

How to Beat Post-Marathon Blues

Over a week ago I finished my third marathon and like I have in the past, I am finding myself having the post-marathon blues. What do I mean by this, you may ask? I feel like that after 18 weeks of putting my all into marathon training, I now feel like I have nothing to do. If you feel the same way as me, then keep reading to get some tips on beating these blues!

My gym has the coolest massage bed that I definitely took advantage of the day after the marathon!

Focus on recovery. After 18 or so weeks of working your body to the extreme, it's time to thank it by recovering properly! This can be done by stretching, foam rolling, epsom salt baths, and any other way you feel helps your body recover from running 26.2 miles (plus hundreds of training miles!).

No training = a restful trip to the Poconos!

Find something to do during the time you'd usually be running. We can all agree that training for a marathon takes away a lot of our free time. I used the excuse "I have to run" way too many times these past few months when it came to all the books I've been wanting to read and things around the house I should've gotten done. Now that I find myself with a lot of free time, especially on my weekend morning, I have been crossing a lot more off my to do list and have been getting some more "me time" in.

Make a new running/workout schedule. If you're like me, then you probably work best by following a schedule. Without my marathon training schedule, I feel absolutely lost! I've been using my new-found free time to put together a running and workout schedule for the next few months that focus on the aspects of running I want to work on (speed, strength training, etc.). This has not only distracted me from missing my intense marathon schedule (yes, you read that right) but it also has allowed me to come up with a schedule that is best for me.

Sign up for another race. Come on, I know you want to! The first thing I always think after crossing a finish line is "when can I do this again?!" (after I think about what post-race food I am getting first, of course!). By signing up for a new race, you'll have something new to look forward to. The best part of marathon training is working towards a goal so why not set a new goal?


2 comments:

  1. I miss the rigor of marathon training too! It's crazy to any who doesn't run marathons but the training is this crazy beast that makes you feel so strong during.

    Now that the marathon is over, I'm tackling all of the random projects I didn't have time for before. The giant pile of things to donate has got to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how lazy I have felt these past two weeks without a strict schedule. I've been enjoying the easy schedule, though!

      It must feel great to get those projects done! I need to unpack just a few more boxes that I'm pretty sure are all donation items so that will make me feel good.

      Delete