Friday, November 16, 2018

Friday Five: 5 Thoughts Going Into Marathon Weekend

Welp, it's finally here! Both Friday AND marathon weekend! To be honest, I wasn't sure if it would ever get here and I wasn't sure how I felt about that. I think it's safe to say that I'm super excited for marathon weekend for a number of reasons! I'm running this with one of my best friends, we are going to have such a fun weekend, I feel like I am very prepared, and more. I'm switching things up this week. Instead of my usual Friday Five, I'm sharing 5 thoughts I have going into marathon weekend. Read on! And if you're racing this weekend, whether it be Philadelphia or anywhere else, good luck!

1. This is going to be such a fun experience!
Everything about this weekend will be fun. The expo, being in Philly, spending time with friends, running my favorite distance, the post-marathon meal, etc...

2. I am so pumped to share this experience with one of my best friends.
Those who have ran a marathon in the past would agree that the marathon, from training to crossing the finish line, is a unique experience non-marathoners wouldn't understand. I can't wait to share that!

3. A PR is very likely as long as I keep a positive mindset.
I don't care if I wake up on race day and it's torrential down-pouring with wind gusts that could blow me across the Delaware River. This WILL be a good race! A positive mindset will go a long way for me.

4. Trust the training!
My training may have been rocky at times, but I worked my butt off. I need to trust that what I did prepared me for a great race.

5. USE THE BATHROOM!
The line for the port-o-potty could be 30 people deep before the start but I still have to use it to avoid what happened last year. I didn't think I really had to go and thought I could just wait until later in the race. WRONG! I spent a good 15 minutes around mile 3 waiting in line for a bathroom. Then I thought it was a fabulous idea to sprint ahead after to try and catch up with the pace group I was with. This really set the tone for my race... Whatever I do before the start, the bathroom between be top on that list!

4 comments:

  1. I keep telling myself that Sunday will be a great day and it's really helping with any pre-race anxiety. Can't freaking wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WILL be such a great day!! I can't wait, either! I hope we get a chance to see each other at some point throughout the weekend!

      Delete
    2. Me too! I'll text you when I'm heading to the expo and race morning to see if we can say a quick hello :)

      Delete