Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Marathon Day Essentials

I can hardly believe that this weekend is finally the Philadelphia Marathon! With this being my 3rd year running it, I have high expectations for a fun weekend. This will be my friend’s FIRST marathon and I am super pumped to be able to share the experience with her! As the day approaches, I am certainly in a whirlwind of getting everything together so race day goes flawless. There is no way I could do this smoothly without a list, of course! Today I'm sharing with you my marathon (and other distance races) day essentials that I am personally setting aside now so that way I'm not scrambling around, looking for my socks, at 5 am! :) If I'm missing anything, let me know!

Before you read on, I just want to remind you of the one golden rule of racing: do NOT try anything new on race day!!! Whether it's clothing, fuel, or any other product, it is highly recommended to not try anything new due to the fact that you do not know how you will react to the new item. I just wanted to state this now instead of repeating it after every item on this list!

Weather appropriate outfit that was already tested - Try your best to wear an outfit you've trained in and know is comfortable! I ran all my long runs in the same clothes, depending on the weather, and those will be the clothes I have set out for Sunday morning. I'll make my decision that morning between shorts vs. capris :) I suggest doing a "flat you" days leading up to the race as both a cute Instagram post AND a way to see that you have every part of your outfit! Your running shoes should go along with this!

Your bib and/or any other tracking device- If it helps, pin the bib to your shirt ahead of time! Some races give you a shoe tag as well (Philadelphia Marathon does NOT), so remember to attach that in advance.

Sunglasses- I typically put these in my hydration pack for when the sun actually comes out.

Hydration belt or pack- I fill mine up the night before and have it ready to go on race morning.

GPS watch- Make sure whatever device you are using the track your run is fully charged and ready to go!

Phone- Whether it's for music (remember your headphones!), tracking your run, or calling someone at the finish, make sure it's fully charged and ready to go! When it comes to using headphones for music, be sure to check your specific race's rules to see if headphones are banned or not.While the Philly Marathon does not ban headphones, they are highly discouraged for your safety!

A good tried and true breakfast- Hopefully during training you found a breakfast that fuels you right! You will most likely be getting up earlier than usual and have a good amount of time between waking up and the race starting so take this into consideration when eating your breakfast. I try to wait awhile to eat after waking up because I know we have awhile until we even get to the race start and I do not want a rumbly tummy before the gun even goes off!

Fuel of choice (extras if possible!)- Whether you use gels, gummy's, sports drink, or any other form of fuel, be sure to have enough with you to last 26.2 miles! Depending on what kind of belt or pack you carry, pack extras if possible! You never know if you'll need more and the last thing you want is to be at mile 22, needing fuel, and not having any.

Water- This is for before, during, and after the race! Keep hydrated!

Body Glide- I actually keep a mini version of Body Glide in my hydration pack just in case the need arises during the race.

KT Tape- I put mine on the night before so it has time to set and also saves time in the morning!

Throw away gear- If it's cold the morning of your race, you may want to wear something old that you don't mind getting rid of so that you can ditch it at the start. Many races, such as the Philadelphia Marathon, collect the clothes left along the sidelines and donate them.

Post-race outfit- Depending on your plans after the race, you may want some clothes to change into. I suggest something warm and comfortable!

Recovery shoes- If you own any recovery sandals, pack them for afterwards! If you don't own any (like me), you might want to pack other shoes to change into after the race in case your shoes are wet or hurting your feet. Remember extra socks!

Money- It's always good to keep a couple bucks on you just in case!

Positive attitude- Last year, when I woke up the morning of the Philly Marathon, it was down pouring. I was a little discouraged but still kept a smile on my face because this was the day I had been working my butt off for! No matter what the situation is, go into race day with a positive attitude and you'll have a great time! Luckily for me, the rain stopped right before the start :)


4 comments:

  1. I think I'm doing shorts Sunday... I'm going to take a picture of my race day outfit and send to my coach so she can review and make sure I'm not forgetting anything!

    Also I'll definitely need to put extra socks in my gear check bag or give them to Alex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know what she says! I'm sure shorts will be good! I honestly prefer shorts but I just worry that I'll chafe and/or they'll get on my nerves after awhile.

      I'm trying to decide if I'll give John things to hold (in the clear bag they give us at the expo, of course haha) or leave things in our car. I don't want security to be a pain if he has a bag so I'll probably just either leave stuff in the car or shove stuff in his jacket pockets haha.

      Delete
    2. She said I'd be good in shorts so I think I'll go with shorts unless it gets colder.

      If I read the rules correctly, anyone with the clear bag they hand out can bring it in. I think!! Obviously you've done this before so you might know better than me haha. I'll probably just ask someone at the expo if I can give people the bag to hold other clothes and then I'll just layer up with throw away clothes for the start

      Delete
    3. That's why I figured if I want John to hold anything, I'll just throw it in that bag to make life easier. I need to figure out if I want throw away clothes and if I do, what those will be haha. I have such a problem with just ditching clothes even though I know they'll be donated.

      Delete