Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday Five: 5 Reasons I Love Running in the Snow

Although it felt like it was never going to get here... HAPPY FRIDAY! I don't know about you guys, but this week has been crazy for me! Between snow days and late arrivals at work, I haven't been able to keep my life straight. We finally made it to Friday, though. This Friday's 5 is dedicated to the weather I have been experiencing for the past couple weeks: s n o w. It's no secret that I love to go out and run in the snow. Whether is snowing or has already snowed, you can find me out there pounding the snow-covered pavement. Here are 5 reasons why I absolutely love running in the snow!


1. It's peaceful
You can't argue with me on this one. Something about being out in the snow is so peaceful and allows me to get lost in my thoughts. It's almost completely silent out there, especially eary in the morning while people are still nestled in their beds, taking advantage of the snow day. I just love it!


2. The sound of snow underneath my feet 
Okay okay, I know I just said running in the snow is peaceful, but there is one sound: the crunching of snow underneath my feet. That is a sound I want to hear. It's calming in a way I just can't describe. It's even better when it's that packable snow that no one else has walked in yet.


3. Nobody else is out there
Something that adds to the peacefulness of being out in the snow is usually no one else is out there. I really don't like running somewhere that is full of people unless it's at a race. I also don't like people watching me run (this is a personal opinion of mine). When it's snowy out, it almost guarantees me that nobody else will be out and about. The most I'll see is the occasional person walking their dog or beginning to shovel their sidewalks. Other than that, it's just me and the snow.


4. I get to enjoy the scenery
Nothing is as pretty as trees with snow laying on it's branches or a field completely covered in fresh snow. One of the perks of braving the snow to go on a run is being able to experience this beauty before it gets ruined.


5. Even the smallest mileage feels like a lot
Running in snow is not always the easiest. Sometimes you have to dodge patches of ice or slushy puddles. Sometimes you have snow hitting you in the face and getting into your eyes. All these little obstacles make the run feel even more intense than usual. Sometimes I could run 2 miles and still feel like I ran over 5 miles out there. It's a great feeling of accomplishment!

As much as this snow can be enjoyable, I am really longing for some warmer days. I am ready to put this snow behind me and pack away my fleece-lined tights. I want my spring weather!

**I always use caution when running in the snow! If I feel the conditions are unsafe, I will not go out there! As of now, I do not own any equipment for my shoes to handle the ice better so I have to be careful!**

Question of the Day: Do you like running in the snow? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment