Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Spring Has SpRUNg!

Happy Spring!! I don't know about you, but I am beyond excited for spring after such a long and brutal winter. It's not a secret that I love running in colder temps, but this past winter has been far from enjoyable in my opinion. I have found myself leaving for a run in fleece-lined tights and a running jacket over a few layers of shirts more times that I would like. Nothing makes me want to turn back during a run than cold wind piercing my skin. I'm not sure what has been up with Mother Nature this winter, especially over here in Jersey, but I'm hoping this mean she's going to reward us with a beautiful spring and summer to make up for it...

This past weekend I had to start out wearing THREE layers on top. I ended with only one left on...

Although the weather reports don't show very spring-y weather for the next few weeks, I'm still happy that we are closer to warmer temps than we were a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to packing up all my fleece-lined tights, long-sleeved shirts, gloves, and every other winter running item that I have had to haul out of my winter running trunk this year. I truly do not remember the past few winters being this chilly!

I am SO looking forward to wearing shorts and tank tops...

The only thing I am not looking forward to as we move into warmer months is the brutally hot days that make me feel like I couldn't even run a quarter mile. But at this point, I'll take them over these blustery days!

Source

Throughout these next few months (my last few months before marathon training begins), I want to really crack down on establishing routines in my running schedule. Come the start of marathon training in July, I want a solid schedule that I feel confident sticking to. What does this mean, you may ask? Well, my current focus is strength training. I have been averaging about 2-3 days of strength training at my gym consisting of free weights, weight machines, and ab workouts. Most nights I also like to do a quick ab workout with my kettle bells. I also have been trying to add in at least one speed work a week. Now I am hoping to figure out the best schedule to fit in running, strength training, and speed work. My hopes are to run 4-5 times a week with one of those runs being speed work. I want to keep up with strength training 2-3 times a week, possibly on days after I run. The most important thing I want to add in is rest days! I struggle with taking days to rest my body but I know in order to keep it moving, I need to rest. I also need to torture myself use my foam roller and R8 roller more than I already am. I think my body will thank me :)

Source

I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL first day of spring and enjoys their free Rita's water ice! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment