Friday, March 2, 2018

Friday Five: My 5 Running "Essentials"

Friday Five will be my weekly list of five things. These things could be anything. My five favorite foods, memories from the week, things I'm loving at the moment, etc. This list may not always relate to running. I'm hoping these weekly random lists will give you a little peek into my life! Now let's get on to the first edition of Friday Five!

"Running is a cheap hobby" is probably the biggest lie I have ever heard. Any runner knows that you can't just throw on any old clothes and sneakers and go for a run. Well, you probably could.... but you might also need a GPS watch to track your run, something to hold your stuff in, fuel to keep you going, and other little fun "extras" Here is my list of some of my running "essentials" that I probably could run without but never want to have to!

Source

1. Flipbelt
I was first introduced to this wonderful invention at the Broad Street 10-miler race expo with my sister in 2014. It was my first big race expo and I was totally overwhelmed by all the products and samples vendors had to offer. I was still semi new to running so the different fuels and gear being displayed were mostly all new to me and I wasn't sure what to really look at. When we stumbled upon the Flipbelt display, we were instantly interested. A Flipbelt is a flat running belt with multiple pockets to let you easily slide in anything you may need for your run. For added security, you can flip the belt inside out to keep everything secure. There is even a little hook sewn inside the belt to hook your keys onto! I love this belt because it holds everything I need for a run (phone, keys, gels, snacks, etc.) and DOES NOT look super bulky and obnoxious. It's also super easy to slide things out of it while you're in the middle of your run.

Up until this expo, I was using a cheapo running belt from Walmart that just barely held my iPhone, ID, and key. I was going to be using Gu for the race the next day and I honestly had no idea where I was putting that. So this is where I broke one of the number one rules of running and.... I used something new on race day. While I definitely do NOT recommend doing this with new gear/fuel, I don't regret using it for the first time on race day because I didn't even realize it was there! The Flipbelt is seriously the most comfortable race belt, even with a ton of stuff squeezed into it!

Not only are hydration backpacks PERFECT for running, but they also are great to use for hiking!

2. Nathan Intensity Women's Hydration Backpack
My go-to source of hydration during my first round of marathon training in 2015 was two itsy-bitsy water bottles that fit into my hydration belt. While it was helpful and obviously got me through my first full marathon (and many other long distance races!), it wasn't the best option. Carrying about 12 ounces of water on me for my long runs meant a lot of stopping to fill up my bottles throughout my run. I would have to strategically plan my routes around water fountains or my car which held a cooler full of water bottles. 

I am the type of person who is all about efficiency, so when it came around to marathon training this past summer, I knew I had to find something to use other than my little hydration belt. After much research aka asking people in my local running group and reading extensive Amazon reviews, I ended up with the Nathan Intensity Women's Hydration Backpack that holds 2 WHOLE LITERS of water in the bladder that hooks inside the backpack. I love this hydration backpack because it is meant to fit a women's build which means it isn't bulky and forms to your body. Once it is on and you have the straps adjusted to your liking, it is almost as if it isn't even there! There are pockets on both straps in the front. One is a zippered pocket and the other is an open pocket with a drawstring closure. The zippered pocket is not big enough for most phones (I have an iPhone 6S and it doesn't fit) so I use that to store my gels and gummy bears - the fuel of champions, am I right?! The open pocket is the perfect size for either a smaller water bottle full of some sort of sports drink since you wouldn't put that in the bladder (I use the tiny ones from my hydration belt) or your phone if you plan to take it out throughout the run. There is also a larger pocket on the back of the backpack. I use that pocket to store extra gels and snacks for my longer runs. The only downside is you have to take the backpack off to reach that pocket, unless you're somehow flexible enough to reach back and unzip it. There is another smaller pocket inside that is perfect for storing your ID, cash, and any other flat items. 

I bought this hydration backpack in the beginning of my marathon training planning to utilize it during my long runs. It quickly replaced my Flipbelt when I realized how awesome it was to carry 2 liters of water AND tons of other extra things. So yes, I ran with a hydration backpack for every single run, from 2 miles to 20 miles. I love it that much! **I do still use my Flipbelt and I have been using it a lot more recently since my mileage has decreased!**

3. Garmin Forerunner 230
First off, any Garmin watch is a winner in my book! They are generally easy to use and the app is as simple as they come, in my honest opinion. I began my running career watch-free, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. My sister and I "tracked" our runs by first driving the route in our cars to see how far it was on our odometer. This caused us to run the same routes over and over since we already knew the mileage. 

Eventually I gave in and purchased the Garmin Forerunner 10. This was my trusty watch for a few years and I would still be using it if I didn't WIN a new watch! At the Rock N Roll half marathon in September of 2016, Garmin had an ongoing photo contest that offered a new Garmin watch as the prize. Well, I WON! I couldn't believe it when I received the Instagram direct message one morning while I was student teaching. I read the message a dozen times. The message basically said I could choose any Garmin watch (some exclusions applied). This resulted in me spending a few days meticulously researching all of the possibilities. In the end, I chose the Garmin Forerunner 230 and haven't regretted that decision! It does everything I need it to do: tracks my runs, tracks my steps, connects to my phone through Bluetooth to show me my alerts, and much much more!


My go-to socks for long runs!

4. Experia socks
I have run in all sorts of socks but Experia socks have proven to be my favorite so far! I have ran a marathon in these socks and walked away with just one blister. You can't beat that! I wear the thin cushion socks and they provide just enough cushion without making my feet feel stuffed in my shoes. I personally can't stand low-rise socks considering they just fall down into my shoes all the time so these are perfect for me. I hardly have to adjust these socks throughout a run. I also love the assortment of colors they come in!

I love the ease + simplicity of the shoe ID!

5. Road ID
If you have never heard of a Road ID then listen up, because it's probably the most important piece of running gear there is. Road ID's can be worn as a bracelet, necklace, clipped onto your shoe, or attached to selected GPS watches. They even sell pet IDs and kid IDs. The information you put on your ID is entirely up to you, but the typical information is your full name, any allergies you may have or any other pertinent health information, your birth date, and emergency contacts (name & phone number). I prefer the shoe ID so it isn't in my way. The shoe ID attaches to your shoe laces using Velcro. It's easy-peasy! The purpose of any Road ID is for someone to have your information if you happen to get hurt while out on your own (which hopefully never happens!).


There are SO many more essentials I could have added to this list but I narrowed it down to my top 5, which was NOT easy!
Question of the Day: What is the one running essential you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment